EASy68K  
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:40 pm 

Hi everyone.

I started using the simulator because of an exam at the university, and I found it a good product.
The only spot I found into this project is that it works only with Windows.

Many university courses are now moving from Windows enviroments to Linux for teaching. What about a linux version (at least starting with an interface similar to the old DOS one) to allow also Linux users to use the simulator?

Let me say that Linux lacks of M68k simulators other than full system emulators (like Basilisk II)

Bye
Diskless Brain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:03 pm 

The simulator is so tightly integrated with the GUI it would be a lot of work to seperate the two and create a command-line version.

We use all Windows XP at my college so it's a very low priority for me. Anyone else is welcome to take up the challenge.

Borland does sell a product called Kylix that is supposed to compile C++ Builder code to run under Linux XWindows but I've never used it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:09 pm 

Try installing easy 68K with Crossover Office I have managed to install it and it runs fine however im not sure if it compiles programs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:55 pm 

profkelly wrote:
The simulator is so tightly integrated with the GUI it would be a lot of work to seperate the two and create a command-line version.

'twouldn't have to be a CL version. You (or whoever) could use a cross-platform GUI toolkit (of which there are several - I've seen Glk mentioned in this context) and compiler (such as GCC.)
profkelly wrote:
Borland does sell a product called Kylix that is supposed to compile C++ Builder code to run under Linux XWindows but I've never used it.

As I understand it, Kylix originally was an Borland Object-Pascal (now called Delphi) language compiler for Linux, with a cross-platform VCL (GUI library) as an alternative to the normal, Windows-only VCL. You hade to write to the new library (whose name escapes me at the moment); you couldn't use existing Delphi code. I think there is (or was) a C++ compiler to go with the new VCL at some point, but that it's not currently available or supported. The recent versions of Borland's development environment support both C++ and Pascal, but I think only for the MS dot-net runtime. (I hate that name. Try using ".Net" as a search term, bleah.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:03 pm 

I have had reports of success running EASy68K with Wine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:58 pm 

Is there any documentation that describes how the code works, such as doxygen or similar? I've been thinking of having a go at making a gtkmm version over the christmas holidays. Though hearing that it's so intwined with the gui is a little disheartening :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:40 pm 

(Note! I've never used Kylix and these comments are not in any way my support for Kylix or converting EASy68K to Linux. I don't mind if you do, I'm just telling you that you should not expect any help from me. I'm way too busy.)

I think the easiest way to get a native Linux version running would be by using Kylix. The following is from the Borland web site.
Quote:
Borland® Kylix™ 3 Professional delivers a high-performance C++ and Delphi™ language solution for rapidly creating database, GUI, and Web server applications for the Linux® platform. Combine Kylix 3 with Borland C++Builder™ 6 or Delphi 6 to create single-source, cross-platform Linux/Windows® applications.

Kylix is an older program so you might be able to pick up a used copy cheap. Good luck, you'll need it. :blink

Last edited by profkelly on Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:10 am 

That'l be tricky. Especially when you come to my lovely :wub GetProcAddr API calls that get the address to Windows APIs.

Actually, that shouldn't be a problem, just comment them out. You'll have to implement them some other way in Linux (or so I would assume).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:53 am 

aww, whats the fun in that? :ninja

I suppose I'll take a harder look to see how much work will be involved eviscerating the assembler from the gui...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:30 am 

That brings up another :?: Are you going to convert the Assembler, the Simulator or both? The Assembler (EDIT68K) would be the simplest to convert. The Simulator (SIM68K) would be a real :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:43 am 

No kidding. Every routine would need to be examined to make sure it was compatible on linux. :ninja

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:02 am 

Well, I'm not sure how good having one without the other would be, but I'll probably just start with the assembler and then attempt the simulator...

Who knows, if it works well I might even combine the two programs, allowing me to specify breakpoints in the editor before simulating :)
Of course, if it goes badly, I'll need to boot into windows for my assembly fix :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:59 pm 

I've finally got my website up and running at http://www.wickensonline.co.uk.

I've done a shameless port of the assembler portion of Easy68K so that I can run it on Linux/Intel systems. It is command-line driven and I've tested it against existing Easy68k source code. It should be considered beta because the binary output option is not producing identical code.

There's also some information about the clone MECBs discussed in previous posts on this forum, including patched ROM images to fix the TRAP #14 error discussed earlier.

Any comments or problems please drop me a line either at mark@wickensonline.co.uk or on these forums.

Regards,

Mark.
(moved by here by admin)