EASy68K  
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:28 pm 

I use Easy68K in my Introductory Computer Organization classes at a big state university. Increasingly, the students are not all using Windows (last fall I had a senior-level class where every single student was using a Mac!), and this makes it tough for a lot of them to have equal treatment and equal ease of preparing assignments. I know that porting something that was probably designed from scratch to be a Windows app would be a big task, but I'd really like to get this on the wish list.

In my advanced computer architecture classes where we study the MIPS architecture, we have abandoned the old SPIM tools in favor of the wonderful Java-based MARS tools from Missouri State. This suite is similar in concept to Easy68K, and runs on any machine the student happens to have. It is a big hassle-remover for faculty. This would be a good model to follow if you decide to do a port.

Thanks for a great tool set,

Justin Harlow
University of South Florida

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:42 pm 

Users have reported success running EASy68K on Linux with Wine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 am 

Sorry about reopening this semi-dead thread...

I think this Idea should be looked into more... Linux has a growing marketshare. Easy68k should be accessable to any platform. How about doing a port to wxWidgets. I've been researching it myself for usage in my own code. I run Linux on my main coding machine, but I want to write code that will also compile on a windows box.

Easy68k still doesn't work right on Wine. wxWidgets is used in many successful programs: BitTorrent, Filezilla, Audacity, and one of my favs... Code::Blocks. I'd be interested myself in helping.

So... What's the verdict??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:27 pm 

It might be possible to port most of EASy68K to wxWidgets. After just a quick look at wxWidgets I think it would be a very time consuming endeavor. I did not see any way to use wxWidgets in a RAD environment such as VC++ or Borland C++ Builder. I can't imagine trying to write GUI applications without a visual design environment. I just took a quick look so maybe I missed it?

The simulator in EASy68K has several features that are very Windows specific (Full screen code, DirectX sound, etc). Those features might be impossible to support in wxWidgets. The end result would probably require two separate versions of EASy68K, Windows and Other. Two versions to maintain sounds like double my workload which I don't like the sound of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:36 pm 

I did some more digging on wxWidgets web site and found wxvcl for Borland C++ Builder. I'll play around with it and post my findings later.

I'm not opposed to porting EASy68K, I just don't want to make any more work for myself than necessary. EASy68K is already using up most of my time as is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:38 pm 

Gotcha...
cool - I'd help some but I haven't really looked at the code long enough to understand it yet. What do you think of wxWidgets tho? I've been learning some of the interface on the side and I'm quite impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:07 pm 

profkelly wrote:
I'm not opposed to porting EASy68K, I just don't want to make any more work for myself than necessary. EASy68K is already using up most of my time as is.

----

Seriously, porting sounds like a good idea, but the amount of work involved would likely be enormous. Cross-platform EASy68k would probably be something that would have to be carefully re-designed (though much code could be re-used).

I wish I had time, because I would enjoy the challenge. But, alas, the HW assignments keep on coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:47 pm 

I think that running under wine on Linux sounds more realistic then porting to other systems.

The most curious thing with wine is that Edit68k works wrong. May be the usage of less complex text controls or separation of assembler from it can solve this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:35 pm 

starling13 wrote:
I think that running under wine on Linux sounds more realistic then porting to other systems.

The most curious thing with wine is that Edit68k works wrong. May be the usage of less complex text controls or separation of assembler from it can solve this problem.

The editor in EASy68K uses a Microsoft Richedit control. Some users have reported running EASy68K under Wine with no issues. Other posts I have read online talk about needing the proper Microsoft Richedit DLL in order to get it to work correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:42 pm 

ajbonkoski wrote:
I am currently working on redesigning easy68k's gui - i want to integrate edit68k and sim68k into one program that will run best when maximized - the app will be tabbed at the top so you can switch between the two - for further details contact me at [MY_USERNAME] at Yahoo dot com

Sounds like you are making good progress.

Just one comment on changing the user interface. I prefer the current multiple window interface for teaching purposes. Our classroom presentation devices have limited resolution which makes it difficult to use applications that display everything in one window.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:57 pm 

The wxWidgets discussion continues here:
wxWidgets port of EASy68K

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:30 pm 

Douglas Goodall sent me the following email and link:

Here is the asm68k with a slight mod to asm.h that allows it
to compile and run on the latest MAC OS X with XCode.

FYI

:-)

http://server.goodall.com/pub/development/68000/unix68k.tar