EASy68K  
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:50 pm 

Hi,

Guess I should start by saying "thankyou" for the EASy68K simulator which has been invaluable in getting as far as I have!!

I have a custom board which is loosely based on the VZ328ADS Motorola dev board. I've inherited this project and it's the first time I've done any embedded development at all (I'm a Sysadmin).

As part of the existing project, I've been given a few spec sheets and board schematics and also a few scraps of code. One of these is a B-Record which I can use in Bootstrap mode on the board. This fiddles some registers (CSR, WatchDog, Chip Selects) and can be used to load compiled assembler into RAM on the board.

I've managed to flip some registers manually in this file to turn an LCD screen on and pull some pins up and down. I've also managed to write some basic ASM code (using EASy68K) and load it into Flash as an S-Record (again in Bootstrap mode) and run it to display patterns on the screen.

I've used Crosstool to build what seems to be a working Toolchain for the m68k architecture. This builds what look like valid binaries (2's Complement Big-Endian) which look fine using readelf, but when converting to S-Record format, I keep getting asked for things like Program Offsets and suchlike, which I can't find much detail on.

I'm kind of stuck now. I guess the main thing I've been unable to work out is the processes I need to go through to run code when NOT in Bootstrap mode. I've not managed to find any documentation on what happens when the board is powered up and what I need to set up (clocks, RAM timings, PWM stuff etc.). Could anyone give me a breakdown of the steps that need to happen before code can run on the box in normal mode.

Any links to resources, reading, source examples or anything that might help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Dave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:17 am 

Weak_Link wrote:
I've used Crosstool to build what seems to be a working Toolchain for the m68k architecture. This builds what look like valid binaries (2's Complement Big-Endian) which look fine using readelf, but when converting to S-Record format, I keep getting asked for things like Program Offsets and suchlike, which I can't find much detail on.

S-Records contain the address of where to load the data a binary file does not. When converting binary data to an S-Record you need to specify the load address so it can be included in the S-Record.

See my description of an S-Record file for details.
http://www.monroeccc.edu/ckelly/easy68ksrecord.htm