EASy68K  
It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:59 am 

Hi, everyone.

I'd like to do some assembly programming on a real 68000 CPU. Not just a simulator. Here are my requirements:

I want to use a real-life 68000 CPU. I know they're a bit rare now but I just like the idea of my code running on the silicon. I'd prefer a 68000 itself, or 680x0 up to 060, rather than the new-fangled ColdFire or some system-on-chip facsimile. It would be lovely if I could add a 68881/2 to the board. Of course it would need to have some kind of input/output mechanism, whether it be buttons or LEDs or something.

There also needs to be some way of programming it, of course, from a modern PC. I want to use assembly and maybe occasional C.

Are there any development kits available? I guess I'd go second hand too as long as I can get spare parts.

Richard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:31 am 

To be honest the world has moved on since 1979, so the availability of 68K dev boards is pretty slim.

Flite has some nice boards, and some Motorola branded versions show up on eBay from time to time. Then you have Motorola ECB and IDP boards.

http://www.flite.co.uk/flite-flt-68k-68 ... system.htm
http://cache.freescale.com/files/dsp/do ... 000IDP.pdf

Most don't have a lot of keyboards/leds/displays, instead using RS232 based connections and terminals.

Most compilers will generate Motorola S-Records, and most boards have a monitor program which will accept these hex files, and store them in RAM.

FLASH probably not so prevalent, EPROM more usual.

You could presumably wirewrap your own creation, or perhaps get an old Atari ST, Amiga, Mac or VME board.