EASy68K  
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:48 pm 

Hi all,
I want to use the extended instruction set from the CPU32, so I've moved away from EASy68k for writing and compiling assembly code.

I found a pre-compiled version of m68k-elf-gcc (well, -as, really, since gcc adds a bunch of extra code along with what I ask it to compile if I don't call the assembler directly) that seems close to what I want.
https://gnutoolchains.com/m68k-elf/

I'm having trouble getting along with the syntax form in gcc. I took code that previously compiled well in EASy68k as an example starting point, and the compiler hangs up on what I think is correct syntax:

MOVEQ #136,%D0 |the '%' is part of the gcc syntax form, as is the '|' comment demarkation

Here's the error it throws:
'Error: operands mismatch -- statement `moveq #136,%D0' ignored'

Does anyone else have experience with this? Have I asked the assembler to do something illegal? What is the point of a 68k compiler that does not even implement this basic instruction properly? I've spent a couple of weeks trying to find a compiler that works. If this keeps up, I should have just written one on my own instead of struggling with some opaque tool that someone else made...

Last edited by Obeisance on Fri May 29, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:51 pm 

wait.. i see something dumb happening.. when i set the immediate data to 127 it works, but anything 128 thru 255 does not.

How does the assembler know signed from unsigned... arrgh.. there is no type declaration!!!