Mac OS X Port of EASy68K
Page 1 of 1

Author:  tullisar [ Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Mac OS X Port of EASy68K

Hi folks,

I've begun work on a port of EASy68K to Mac OS X as part of my capstone project for my degree.

I've set up a git repository for it on github which can be found here:


The assembler is functioning in that you can use it to assemble source to generate a listfile and S-Record from the GUI. None of the other GUI features work at the moment, as the initial goal was to get files to assemble provided they were written correctly. The assembler options window is likely the last thing I'll work on until I can at least get some work on the simulator done. As the simulator will likely require the most work, I've decided to get started on that now that you can at least assemble files.

I owe a large portion of my efforts so far to the unix 68k port done by Mark Wickens found here: http://wickensonline.co.uk/unix68k.html (which seems to have been done with an earlier version of the easy68k source, and there are notable differences between it and the current version of easy68k now)

The project is still in its early stages, but I thought I'd at least post a thread here and keep the project's status updated. I'm also relatively new to the world of writing applications for Mac OS X, so this is somewhat of a dual learning experience.

Although there isn't much to work with so far, bug reports an comments are appreciated :)

Author:  tullisar [ Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:57 am ]
Post subject: 

The assembler options have been implemented (can be found under the preferences menu item). I also had some requests to at least have the errors available, and for now they are spit out to the console (Console.app in the Utilities folder). I'm mostly focused on the simulator now, so there probably won't be any other features implemented in the editor for the time being.

Author:  tullisar [ Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:19 pm ]
Post subject: 

The simulator is partially complete, in that you can load an S-record file and hit run, step, pause, and trace (the step to address doesn't work yet). I/O using TRAP #15 isn't supported yet except through tasks 13/14 via console output.

As with the Editor, you can open Console.app when running to see which instruction's its executing as you run/trace/step. This is also where any output from tasks 13/14 of trap 15 are shown.

Editing of the register textfields is slightly buggy at the moment, as it doesn't enforce hex input only. Anything other than 0-F will result in an undetermined state in the program (likely crashing it or giving weird values). It also doesn't fill out the text field if you only enter "FF" for example, which is more of an aesthetics thing.

The next thing that I plan on implementing is the simulator I/O window and at least the first 12 or so tasks of Trap 15. Followed by simple breakpoints and a memory browser.

Author:  tullisar [ Mon May 30, 2011 9:18 am ]
Post subject: 

Well, it's been quite some time since I've updated here!

A lot has changed since my last post. I've been focused on homework and this project and somewhat forgot about posting here. Both the Editor and the Simulator are 'functional'.

The editor for the moment is lacking Syntax highlighting, printing (which is an oversight... forgot to set a few things), template preferences, comment/uncomment buttons, and font settings. I might be missing other features, but those are the ones that come to mind.

The simulator 'runs'. I have not tested it on a wide variety of programs yet, but all of the instructions -should- properly execute. TRAP #15 tasks 0-9, 12-13, 16, 30, & 31 are all that are implemented as far as the I/O window is concerned. The "rewind" button for the moment is effectively "reload program" until I work out another tiny icon :P. The memory browser does not allow for direct editing yet, nor does the stack window. Synchronization between the address/values columns can occasionally become desynchronized, and I'm still trying to figure out what's causing that bug. The I/O window is also pretty basic, and fonts aren't customizable yet. The advanced breakpoints window has been implemented slightly differently, and should be relatively easy to figure out. The simulator is currently lacking the Hardware window & emulation. I'm in the process of cataloguing the other features I'm missing in the Simulator (since there are a lot of minor ones...).


Is where a zip file containing the latest stable build of the program can be found. You can also watch the git repository for updates as well. Please submit issues on github rather than posting here, as I don't often get a chance to frequently check here. Include the s-record & listfile and a brief description of what was going on at the time of the problem. Also the program counter's value with respect to running program helps too :)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group